Weight loss surgery
Lose weight and keep it off
Considering weight loss surgery? It may be for you if you haven’t found success with diet, exercise, and/or medication. Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, has proven to be a safe, effective option for our patients, who typically lose between 55 to 70 percent of their excess body weight. Our comprehensive evaluation, pre-surgical education and post-surgical support ensure you achieve your weight loss goals. After surgery, you should expect major improvements in obesity-related conditions including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, and joint pain. You can start the process by attending one of our free seminars or watching this informational video. Then fill out and submit your health history. We will call you to schedule your initial consultation in Raleigh or Durham.
Recognized Center of Excellence, Center of Distinction
- Excellent patient outcomes. Our quality of care, years of experience, comprehensive services, and positive patient outcomes are the reasons why our program is designated a Center of Excellence and Center of Distinction by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), Blue Cross Blue Shield, Optum Health, and Cigna. Only centers that meet their strict criteria are included among their distinguished centers.
- Experience matters. Our weight loss program has been serving Raleigh and Durham for more than 20 years. It is staffed by board-certified surgeons who are fellowship-trained, meaning they have completed additional years of training in bariatric surgery. They perform approximately 800 bariatric surgeries each year. Studies show that surgical experience is an important indicator of your successful outcome.
- Adolescent accreditation. Duke Regional Hospital is accredited to perform weight loss surgery on adolescents by the MBSAQIP of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. It is the only hospital in North Carolina, and one of the few in the country, with accreditation to treat teens age 15 to 18.
Our commitment to you. Our surgeons, physician assistants, psychologists, nutritionists, endocrinologists, nursing, and anesthesia teams are committed to helping you achieve your weight loss goals. We work with you and your doctor to establish a successful weight loss plan.
- Safer, minimally invasive surgery. Nearly 99 percent of our weight loss surgeries are completed laparoscopically, meaning they only require small incisions. In some cases, we use robotic tools to minimize incisions for more complex procedures that would normally require larger incisions. Smaller incisions translate to less pain, fewer complications, smaller scars, shorter stays, and faster recovery time.
- Post-surgery body contouring. If unwanted, loose skin and tissue hide the results of weight loss surgery, our skilled plastic surgeons can work with you to smooth and shape your body and ensure you feel and look your best.
- Support groups before and after surgery. We offer free, monthly and weekly support groups in Durham and Raleigh to people who are preparing for weight loss surgery, as well as those who have already had surgery. Our experts address a variety of topics including nutrition, exercise and lifestyle changes. You will also have the opportunity to talk to people with similar experiences in an educational and supportive setting. Your weight loss surgery did not have to be performed at Duke to participate in these support groups.
Take the first steps
- Calculate your body mass index (BMI). To qualify for insurance coverage, you must have a body mass index of 40 or more, or 35 and a major health complication such as type 2 diabetes, breathing problems, chronic arthritis pain, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol.
- Ask your insurance company these questions. The American Medical Association recently classified obesity as a disease, which may impact how insurers provide coverage for weight loss surgery.
- Attend an information seminar. Before you can be scheduled for weight loss surgery, you must attend a seminar or watch it online. Information seminars are free and held several times a month in Durham and Raleigh. The sessions provide you with the tools and information you need to have a successful surgery, as well as an opportunity to meet some of the surgeons and ask questions. Register online or call 866-637-0711.
- Submit your health history. After submitting your health history through our secure online portal, we will call you to schedule your consultation.
- Complete our nutritional questionnaire. Please print and complete this nutritional questionaire and bring it with you to your first appointment.