Spine care and back pain at Duke
Duke Spine Center specialists offer comprehensive therapy options and advanced surgeries to help you lead a healthy, pain-free life. We know through experience from treating high volumes of patients that personalized treatment plans yield the best results for spine care. We take into account your lifestyle and health needs and recommend a comprehensive plan for your spine care that may include the latest in medications and injections, physical therapy, and pain management. If you require surgery, we offer one of the most experienced surgical teams in the state.
Spine surgery excellence
- Spine surgery excellence. We perform the full range of spine surgery options, from disc replacement to relieve pain and swelling, to complex reconstructive surgeries for scoliosis, and procedures to remove delicate spinal cancer lesions. Whenever possible, our team uses minimally invasive techniques so you recover faster and experience less pain and fewer complications. Our advanced experience comes from the high volume of patients we see; our team performs more than 1,200 spine surgeries every year.
- Advanced technology for precise results. We use the most advanced technology and techniques available today for safe, effective results that reduce complications to your crucial but delicate spine and spinal cord. Our operating rooms feature intraoperative imaging equipment that gives our surgeons real-time, 3-D pictures and video, guiding them as they operate. We also use minimally invasive surgical techniques whenever possible, so you benefit from faster recoveries, fewer complications, and less pain.
- Team approach to spine care. We bring together a complete team of experts. Together, they have expertise in nearly every aspect of spine care treatment, recovery, and rehabilitation. Our team includes neurosurgeons, orthopaedic surgeons, radiosurgery specialists, physiatrists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, and nurses. We also offer acupuncturists, pain management experts, physical therapists, and a psychologist who specializes in traumatic spinal injury patients.
- Solutions for chronic pain. Sometimes your persistent, debilitating back pain isn’t linked to a disease or injury, so there is no clear treatment route. Many people with this type of chronic back pain have trouble finding spine care and relief from pain. We understand that your pain is real. We offer medications, injections, and nerve blocks. We also specialize in spinal cord stimulation, a procedure that relieves pain by surgically placing electrodes on your spinal cord.
- Level I trauma center. This reputable designation means we provide the highest level of emergency care for spinal injuries and achieve excellent outcomes. Our trauma center is a regional and national referral center for neck and spine injuries and disorders –- both in adult and pediatric patients.
- Advanced medical records technology. Our secure online portal, Duke MyChart, allows you to view test results, make appointments, request prescription renewals, and message your doctor using any Web-enabled device. Our technology also allows anyone on your care team to securely access your health information, making sure you always get care that's right for you and based on the latest evidence.