Psychiatry at Duke
Duke offers expert and compassionate care to adults and children with mental health problems including depression, anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, eating disorders and personality disorders. We also work closely with people who need help overcoming addictions and substance abuse. Whether you know your specific needs, or you are looking for help but don't know where to start, we work closely with you to ensure you get the safe, effective treatment you need.
Comprehensive psychiatric care
Looking for mental health care can be a daunting experience, which is why we want to make it as easy as possible for you. Our clinics cover a wide range of mental health disorders, and offer an equally wide range of treatments that include psychotherapy, medical management and brain stimulation options.
Our team includes national experts in many areas of psychiatric care, many of whom conduct research in mental and behavioral health with the goal of better understanding and effecitvely treating mental illnesses. You benefit from our expertise, and can access the latest treatment options. Whether you experience mood disorders, personality disorders, need help overcoming addiction, or want to learn better strategies for coping with stress and anxiety, we have the resources you need to regain control of your mental health.
- Get the care you need. If you aren't sure what is wrong but know you need care, our experts at the Duke Psychiatry Outpatient Clinic will evaluate your condition and provide second opinions when needed. We assess whether you may benefit from medication management, short-term psychotherapy or another treatment strategy, and direct you to the right resources.
- Advanced treatment for severe depression. Newer versions of brain stimulation and ECT use electrical currents to change brain chemistry in ways that quickly ease severe depression while you are under sedation. Similarly, transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) uses a small electric current to stimulate nerve cells in the region of the brain involved with mood, which significantly reduces your depression symptoms.
- Access clinical trials. Our doctors are researchers who conduct clinical trials of the latest treatments available including brain stimulation and electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). While you may be eligible to participate in our clinical trials, you may also benefit from their findings. Our doctors use the results of their research to to ensure you receive the most effective treatment to help you reduce your symptoms and improve your mental health.
- Virtual reality therapy for phobias. If you experience an anxiety disorder centered on the fear of heights, elevators, flying, thunderstorms or public speaking, our trained therapists will very gradually expose you to your fears in a controlled, 3-D virtual world. The therapy reduces the intensity of the phobia and allows you greater freedom in your environment.
- Women-specific mental health issues. Pregnancy, hormone changes, menopause, and changing social roles all pose unique psychological challenges to women. We provide the most effective treatments for female-specific emotional disorders and mental health issues.
- Infertility support. We partner with the Duke Fertility Center to provide emotional support to couples going through infertility treatment who may experience stress, grief, social isolation, sadness, anxiety and marital problems.
- Mood disorders management. Our bipolar disorder experts work closely with you to evaluate your condition and personalize your treatment plan to meet your needs.
- Compassionate inpatient care. If you or a family member is experiencing a mental health crisis, hospitalization may be required. We provide compassionate and effective care at the Duke University Hospital Williams Inpatient Psychiatric Unit and Duke Regional Hospital. You’ll be cared for by an expert team that includes psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, clinical social workers and recreational therapists.
- Children and adolescent mental health specialists. Our experts in child psychiatry provide comprehensive care to children, adolescents, and their families.