Labor and delivery
at Duke University Hospital's Birthing CenterCall for an appointment
Whether you are welcoming your first baby or your fifth, we know childbirth is a significant milestone for you, your baby and your loved ones. Each year, we deliver more than 3,000 babies. We know every woman’s childbirth is different. Our team is prepared day and night to handle all situations – from overseeing normal deliveries to managing high-risk or even emergency situations.
Choose Duke's Birthing Center for your childbirth experience because we offer:
- Specialized obstetrician coverage 24/7. Our labor and delivery units are always staffed with high-risk maternal-fetal medicine specialists. That means there is always a highly experienced obstetrician available -- day and night -– to expertly manage any complications that arise.
Obstetric anesthesiologists. Women who require anesthesia are always seen by an anesthesiologist who specializes in obstetric anesthesia. Even if you arrive in labor in the middle of night, we have an obstetric anesthesiologist available for you. This ensures you experience the highest quality care and best possible outcome.
- Team of dedicated experts. Our labor and delivery team includes all the experts you may need for a healthy and safe pregnancy and birth experience. Our team includes general obstetricians, gynecologists, obstetric anesthesiologists, board-certified maternal-fetal medicine specialists and neonatologists. We also work with highly experienced nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives and board-certified lactation consultants.
- In-house neonatologists. We work closely with a team of neonatologists that can be ready at a moment’s notice to manage any complications with critically ill or premature newborns. Our trained, neonatal-perinatal experts provide comprehensive care for premature and full-term infants who need special medical services after birth.
- Experience with complex C-sections. We are a referral center for challenging cases involving women who require a Cesarean delivery for medical reasons, from obesity to heart disease and other conditions that may pose a risk to you or your baby during delivery. Our experience working with high-risk pregnancies and performing complex C-sections means our team is ready to expertly handle any situation.
- Experts in high-risk pregnancy. Our board-certified maternal-fetal medicine specialists provide comprehensive care and services to women with complicated pregnancies. We manage the full-spectrum of high-risk pregnancies, including care for women who are carrying multiples, who have a history of pregnancy complications (miscarriage, preterm delivery or cervical incompetence) or who have a preexisting medical condition, such as heart disease, lupus or a seizure disorder.
LABOR AND DELIVERY
Breastfeeding isn’t always easy for new moms and their babies. We offer support services to help you overcome challenges and feel confident. Our board-certified lactation consultants are available to you during your stay for breastfeeding support with your newborn. Many of the nurses on our labor and delivery unit are also lactation consultants who are available to help you.
Our midwives provide weekday gynecologic, maternity, contraceptive and primary care to women.
We offer classes to help you get ready for childbirth and what to expect afterward. Our class topics range from preparing for labor and delivery and C-sections to understanding epidurals. We also prepare you for life as a new mom, with classes that cover breastfeeding, baby care, infant/child CPR and tips for getting back in shape, among others.