Inflammatory and immune disorders
- Keith got his gout under control through participation in a clinical trial.Keith Sutton|Raleigh, NCRead his story
- Ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, and one of only nine U.S. Autoimmunity Centers of Excellence by the National Institutes of Health.
Duke rheumatology ranks among the nation's best for the evaluation and treatment of inflammatory and immune diseases. Our experienced rheumatologists deliver comprehensive and aggressive care to thousands of patients each year for a wide range of rheumatic conditions. We partner with other specialists throughout Duke Medicine to develop a treatment plan tailored to your individual need. We want to help you enjoy a full and active life.
- Nationally recognized research. As one of nine U.S. Autoimmunity Centers of Excellence (ACE) by the National Institutes of Health, we are nationally recognized for our rheumatology and immunology research. As an ACE site, we collaborate with researchers throughout the U.S. to discover and test new treatments for autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, gout, systemic lupus erythematosus, fibromyalgia, and scleroderma.
- Nationally ranked program. Our rheumatology program is ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Newly approved therapies developed at Duke. One of the newest FDA-approved drugs for treating gout, Krystexxa, was developed and tested here.
- Benefit from our research expertise and knowledge. You'll have access to the latest therapies through our ongoing research and clinical trials before they are widely available.
- Collaborative care. Because inflammatory and immune disorders can affect many systems in the body, our doctors also partner with specialists including cardiologists, orthopaedists, dermatologists, radiologists and physical therapy, to provide appropriate, comprehensive care. We strive to help you achieve your optimal quality of life by incorporating the latest, most effective therapies into your care.
- Specialized care for women. Women with rheumatic conditions such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis need special care before and during their pregnancies. Our rheumatologists work closely with Duke obstetrics and gynecologists to find safe, effective medications to manage your disease and ensure you experience the healthiest pregnancy possible.
- Extensive pediatric rheumatology program. Our experts in pediatric rheumatology provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for children with rheumatic and autoimmune diseass including juvenile arthritis, lupus, scleroderma and fibromyalgia.