Eye care at Duke
- Comprehensive services to treat and take care of your sight – ranked among the nation's best by U.S.News & World Report
As one of the top eye centers in the country, the Duke Eye Center treats more than 165,000 people each year, and offers the full spectrum of eye care. Our specialists undergo advanced training and have years of experience treating corneal disease, retinal disease, glaucoma, eye cancer, and other eye conditions. We use the latest diagnostic, medical, and surgical breakthroughs, and our researchers are often involved in bringing many of these discoveries from the lab to the clinic. At Duke Eye Center, you receive prompt, effective treatment at the earliest possible stage to prevent or halt the progression of blinding eye diseases.
Ranked among the nation's best eye centers
- Top ranked care. The Duke Eye Center is consistently ranked among the top ten eye centers in the nation by U.S.News & World Report and Ophthalmology Times.
- Respected leaders. Our doctors lecture and train on the latest advances in eye care, publish research, and help to develop the guidelines for treatment that are followed around the world. As a patient at the Duke Eye Center, you are cared for by respected leaders in the field of ophthalmology.
- One of 13 U.S. facilities to offer bionic eye for total blindness. This exciting advancement is part of a clinical trial that will allow people with end stage retinitis pigmentosa to gain improved functioning in their daily lives.
- Compassionate, supportive environment. We offer patient support services, including educational materials and programs, a low vision rehabilitation program, and a dedicated social worker to help you and your loved ones manage your condition and maximize your quality of life.
- Routine eye care. We offer comprehensive eye care to children and adults as part of annual visits and contact lens fittings in convenient locations throughout the greater Triangle area.
- Comprehensive care for multiple eye conditions. Many of the people we treat experience more than one eye concern. Our specialists work closely together to manage your eye diseases. If you require multiple visits for different eye disorders, we we make every effort to coordinate your care and maximize your convenience.
- Latest breakthroughs. Our research, education, and technology development programs enable our doctors to offer you access to the latest eye care breakthroughs. Our researchers constantly strive to improve treatments for eye conditions and find cures for blinding eye diseases.
- Dedicated surgical suite. Our skilled surgeons work closely with anesthesiologists and surgical nurses who have focused their training and experience on caring for people with eye conditions. We are expertly equipped to care and treat complex and multiple eye problems including retinal and corneal diseases.
- Powerful imaging devices. Optical coherence tomography (OCT) offers 3-D views of the eye’s internal structures. Our researchers are pioneering new uses for OCT, including ways to prevent blindness in premature babies. Our work with OCT means we can more accurately diagnose your condition and recommend the most appropriate treatment.
- Specialized pediatric eye care. Our pediatric eye care specialists work with children with serious eye concerns and eye muscle disorders. Many of our pediatric patients travel to Duke from around the country.