Endocrine disorders at Duke
Duke’s endocrinology experts have extensive surgical experience, work with the newest therapies, and develop effective treatment alternatives for diabetes patients as well as people with other endocrine disorders who don’t respond to traditional treatments. Our reputation for excellence extends throughout North Carolina and across the U.S. We are a high-volume referral center for all types of endocrine disease due to the breadth of our services and our ability to expertly treat many types of patients, some of whom have complex and unique needs.
Extensive experience in endocrine disorders
- National leaders in endocrine disorders. We rank among the top hospitals in the country for endocrinology by U.S. News & World Report. Our endocrinologists, endocrine surgeons, and researchers have extensive surgical experience and are experts in the newest and most effective treatment alternatives available today.
- Surgical expertise. We are among the busiest endocrine surgery teams in North America, with more than 600 new patients seen each year. We have extensive surgical experience and make minimally invasive options available to a wide range of patients with endocrine disorders. Minimally invasive procedures require smaller incisions than open surgery and mean you experience less pain, faster recovery, and fewer complications. Our highly specialized surgeries include laparoscopic retroperitoneal adrenalectomy for adrenal tumors and transsphenoidal resection for pituitary disorders and tumors.
- Latest treatments. We offer many of the newest medications and therapies available today, including the Reclast IV infusion for osteoporosis and an anti-PCSK9 clinical trial for lipid disorder patients.
- Targeted treatment plan. From diabetes to thyroid problems, all endocrine disorders can have an effect on your body’s ability to produce and releases hormones, which control many vital functions. We pinpoint the cause of your imbalance and develop a targeted treatment plan for you.
- Experience with complex cases. We specialize in treatments tailored to patients with unique health needs. We regularly treat diabetes patients who require highly concentrated U-500 insulin, which requires close physician supervision. About 40 percent of our lipid disorder patients seek us out for our experience developing effective treatment alternatives to statin intolerance.
- Empowering diabetes patients through education. With many endocrine disorders –- especially diabetes –- staying healthy means taking an active role in your health and treatment regimen. For diabetes patients, we offer a comprehensive selection of group and individual classes to teach you how to administer insulin and control your diet. If you have osteoporosis or a lipid or thyroid disorder, our trained staff makes sure you understand your medication regimen, as well as any other dietary or lifestyle changes.
- Advanced medical records technology. Our secure online portal, Duke MyChart, allows you to view test results, make appointments, request prescription renewals, and message your doctor using any Web-enabled device. Our technology also allows anyone on your care team to securely access your health information, making sure you always get care that's right for you and based on the latest evidence.