Digestive disorders at Duke
- Expert diagnosis and patient-focused solutions for all digestive disorders.
Duke's digestive health team specializes in expert diagnosis and patient-focused solutions for diseases of the digestive system. We are a major regional referral center because of our reputation for specialized digestive treatment. Our specialization in all digestive disorders ensures you receive prompt and comprehensive care in a comfortable, patient-focused environment.
- Nationally recognized hepatologists. Our liver experts are renowned for their hepatitis research and expertise. We have been involved in the development of nearly every major new hepatitis drug and diagnostic technology introduced in the past decade.
- Access to the latest treatments. A variety of new therapies and therapy combinations are available through our clinical trials. We offer you the opportunity to participate in treatment studies that may test new therapies and help us better understand digestive diseases.
- Innovative surgery. We are experts in the use of minimally invasive approaches to surgery that hasten healing, lessen discomfort, and lower infection risk. Many surgeries are performed using tools that require small incisions and create better diagnostic images that increase surgical precision.
- Enhanced recovery reduces hospital stays and readmissions. Our physicians are national leaders in enhanced recovery, a program that minimizes pre-operative fasting, encourages immediate post-operative physical rehabilitation, and incorporates specialized pain management to reduce the stress of colon surgery. Duke research shows their enhanced recovery approach decreases post-operative complication rates, and reduces the length of hospital stays.
- Expert diagnosis. Digestive diseases can be hard to diagnose because their symptoms may not be clear. We have earned a reputation for making prompt, accurate diagnoses and acting quickly to restore your health. With experts in every aspect of the digestive system -- from esophagus disorders such as acid reflux, to anal and colon diseases -- we are prepared to help you with any condition.
- Collaborative care. You benefit from a group of experienced surgeons, blood specialists, and imaging experts who work together to review your diagnosis and make the most effective treatment recommendations. Making decisions about abdominal procedures and other complex procedures often requires the expertise of many specialists. Vascular, gynecological, and plastic surgeons work collaboratively to ensure you have the best outcome.
- Leaders in endoscopic ultrasound. As leaders in this sophisticated high-definition imaging technology, we can diagnose pancreatic cancer earlier, in the most treatable stages, and obtain accurate staging information.
- Compassionate, patient-focused care. We focus on convenience to maximize your comfort. Many tests and procedures are completed on an outpatient basis in a single day.
- Patient education. Lifestyle choices often have significant consequences within the digestive system. Our complete care approach includes providing advice on how to improve diet and weight-loss efforts.