Understanding your bill
To pay your balance online:
- Visit our patient portal, DukeMyChart, to pay a bill online with a credit card. You can also view your payment history, see your billing statements, and more.
- Existing patients can pay online using the HealthView portal only if a Duke Medicine billing statement indicates that bill can be paid on HealthView.
You may receive more than one bill for your hospital or clinic visit due to the many different physician groups and hospitals within the Duke system.
Each bill will identify which Duke Medicine provider the bill is from at the top of the statement, such as:
- Duke Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC)
- Duke Primary Care (DPC)
- Duke University Hospital
- Duke Regional Hospital
- Duke Raleigh Hospital
Bills for physician services
Bills for physician services from the PDC and DPC will include but are not limited to:
- Interpretations of tests
- Surgical procedures
- Consultations performed by physicians and, in some instances, physician assistants and nurse practitioners
Physician services also include, but are not limited to, the services of anesthesiologists, psychiatrists, podiatrists, radiologists, and pathologists. These services may be provided in clinics or in the hospital, but will be billed by the physician group.
Bills from hospitals include the following services, but are not limited to:
- Radiology and other testing services (referred to as ancillary services)
- Operating Room services
- Medical supplies
- Inpatient room and board
- Other services provided by the hospital
You may receive a bill each time you visit the hospital. For clinics under the management of Duke University Hospital, you may see a charge on your bill for the equipment, supplies, and services provided in the hospital‐based clinic. These charges are separate from the services provided by your physician/provider.
Any amount you owe will be based your specific insurance plan. Please contact your insurance company for information regarding your particular plan and what you owe.
Community‐based physician bills
You may receive separate bills from certain community‐based physician groups who provide professional services and bill separately from Duke. Please contact these physicians separately with any questions.
Duke HomeCare & Hospice
You may receive bills from Duke HomeCare & Hospice (DHCH), which is our provider for home health, infusion, and hospice services. For questions related to DHCH bills, please call 919‐620‐3853.
Questions about paying your bill?
For questions about your paying your bill, please call Duke Medicine Customer Service at 919-620-4555 or 1-800-782-6945 from 8:00am-5:00pm ET on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and from 8:00am-4:00pm ET on Thursday.