Teer House is a gracious historic home in Durham located a few blocks north of Duke Regional Hospital. We are a comprehensive educational resource to patients, families, and the community as part of Duke’s Department of Clinical Education and Professional Development.
Health professionals from a variety of clinical backgrounds provide educational support to participants of all ages to help them achieve and maintain optimal health and emotional wellness.
Class topics change monthly to address the current health concerns of the community. Whether you are newly diagnosed or have a chronic illness, there is always helpful information to discover and discuss at Teer House. Class topics have included:
- ABCs of ADHD Parenting Series
- Eating Healthy for a Longer Life
- Peanut Allergies in Children and Adults
- Keeping Your Blood Pressure Down
- Oh My Aching Back!
- Stress Management: Fundamentals of Meditation
- The New Normal: Coping for Families Living with Cancer
Teer House is home to many support groups including those coping with:
- Low carb/low glycemic weight loss management
Individuals will enjoy working with other dedicated volunteers who are interested in supporting a variety of programs in our community. Opportunities for volunteers include:
- Greeters: Volunteers are needed to greet, register participants, collect evaluations, and assist with basic office duties evenings and weekends.
- Special Events: Throughout the year we participate in health fairs, conferences or other community events. Volunteers are needed to help set up the Teer House display, register participants, distribute materials, and provide information about our programs.
- Sister to Sister: a mentoring enrichment program for Durham County girls ages 10-12. Volunteers are needed to assist with after school programs at designated elementary school.
- Office Help: During business hours, volunteers are needed to assist with general office duties including customer service, collating packets, answering phones, and working on volunteer newsletter.
The time commitment varies and includes flexible schedules. To get involved, please call Monica Taylor at 919-477-2644.